Wednesday, 16 September 2026

Bridal Shower

On Saturday I drove to Cambridge to attend my grand-niece's bridal shower. It was a good place for it - a somewhat central location for the attendees coming from the Sarnia area, Durham Region, and Ottawa.

I arrived at Cambridge an hour or so before the shower so popped into the Len's Mill Store just off the 401 and Hespeler Road to pick up some supplies for a new craft project. More about that in the next post.

Surprisingly I knew almost all the people at the shower: the bride-to-be, Andrea; her mother and aunt (my two nieces Rosa and Ana); my grand-niece, Melisa and her two young daughters, Riley and Remy; the groom's mother, Jane, cousin, Sam, and cousin-in-law, Amanda. The latter 3 with whom I spent Christmas of 2024 in the Dominican Republic. I also had previously met Lisa and Jo-Ann at the quilting retreat in July. I also got to meet Sarah's mother, Carolina, who had prepared a delicious Italian pasta dinner for Ana and Rosa after their mother's funeral visitation. Skip was very impressed with it. I hadn't met one of Andrea's friends who attended, nor Sarah, Andrea's childhood friend, but I had heard lots about Sarah since they were little girls and Andrea attended 'Secret Heart' elementary school.

Sarah hosted the shower at their very cute home in Cambridge. There was so much character in the place - arched doorways, natural wood trim, many-paned windows, glassed-in porch. I couldn't resist taking a photo.

The theme of the wedding is 'Til Death Do Us Part'.

What would a bridal shower be without any games? 

Dozens of 'diamond' rings were stashed around the house. The person to find the most would win a prize. The one hanging from the frame above was one of the last to be found. The young girls found most of them on their own and many of us gave them the ones that we had found. Then Remy and Riley pooled them to win the prize. Jane had donated one of her lovely pottery creations. The young girls asked who would want it. Of course, I said 'pick me, pick me'.

With the holes in the bottom and the little plate underneath, it could be used as a berry washer or even a little flower pot.


I loved how Andrea's dress coordinated with the theme, particularly since I don't ever recall Andrea dressing in any other colour than black.
After all the gifts were opened, the lovely bride-to-be modeled the hat made from bows and the pop-up card - a bouquet of flowers in a vase. 

As we were leaving, we received a favour, a memento of the event: a pair of candles wrapped with a sprig of lavender.
It was a very nice way to spend the afternoon. I'm always glad to get to visit family.

The drive home was happily uneventful, largely due to the delightful cross-country route plotted by my Apple Maps. Evidently there was a traffic snarl up on the 401 between Cambridge and Guelph that this alternate route avoided. I drove through farm country on secondary highways and county roads. Campbellville was the only major centre I traversed.  Back on the 401 at Guelph Line, traffic was not plentiful and moved smoothly to my hookup to the $$$407$$$. I got home shortly after 6pm.

The next day, I hurkle-durkled (slept in and languished in bed until mid-morning) and started another crafty project.

No comments:

Post a Comment