Sunday 14 October 2007

Getting Ready for Rhinebeck

I spent most of the morning printing out motel information and maps for our upcoming trip to the New York State Sheep and Wool Festival. I was particularly pleased to discover we could stay one night for free with the points we have accumulated with a particular hotel chain. Bonus!!! We folks on a pension like saving money any way we can. Then we can spend it on fun stuff - like yarn, for example.

Last night I started a baby blanket for one of my former colleagues who is giving birth in December. It is a simple diagonal garter stitch blanket with a yarn over after the third stitch of every row. I'm using Lion Brand Homespun (for its ease of washing and drying) in the Sunshine State (372) colourway. It's a nice, buttery yellow.













I wanted something that would knit up fast. I'm using the Triangular Shawl pattern from the Leisure Arts #4225 "Prayer Shawl Ministry" book. It's the same pattern I used on the triangular shawl I knit with Debbie Bliss alpaca yarn. I have at least one other gift to knit for another gal who is expecting in February.

While looking at the pictures (over 760) from the Facebook group, "Addicted to Knitting", I saw a bunch of cute teddy bears (among many other wonderful posted photos). I thought one would fun to knit so I spent considerable time this morning surfing patterns for them. Here's one I might do or maybe this one. I'm going to see if I can find a nice chenille yarn and will knit it tightly. I will look for some brown worsted or DK yarn as well - possibly wool. I'm wondering if it would work to knit it and stuff it and then felt it. I want the finished product to be washable.

One of the "Addicted to Knitting" gals recommended the book, "The Knitted Teddy Bear". It is available on eBay but when I checked my public library's online catalogue, I discovered they have it in their collection and it's in and on the shelf! Woo Hoo! I'll have to make a visit there next week. I love going to our library, grabbing a latte (decaf skim) at the cafe attached to the building and heading upstairs to the 746 section with my knitting in hand. I often spend a delightful hour or two, sipping my latte, thumbing through knitting books and knitting at my leisure. Man, I love being retired.

I have no idea what to expect at Rhinebeck except lots and lots of beautiful yarn, lamb burgers, sheep dog trials and tons of knitters. It'll be a lot of driving but Skip is game so all systems are go.

No comments:

Post a Comment