Wednesday 30 December 2009

Snowbound! (Well Almost...)

Skip and I had a lovely holiday at what I call "The Spa". Actually, it's my BFF, Marion's, daughter's lovely post and beam home outside of London, ON near Komoka. We arrived last Saturday bearing leftovers from our Christmas dinner which we enjoyed for dinner that evening. After dinner, a friend from high school, Cathy Cleave and her daughter Jean, came to visit and knit. Except for saying hello for a few minutes in 2006 at our high school's reunion, I hadn't seen Cathy since 1972! Cathy claims I taught her how to crochet in high school. Now, she is an avid knitter and, like me, has recently retired and taken up spinning. It was nice for Marion and me to have a couple of knitters to hang out with.

Sunday, we went to my niece's place for lunch near Camlachie - a hamlet in the town of Plympton-Wyoming on the shores of Lake Huron about 25km east of Sarnia. It was nice seeing her family as well as my sister who was visiting there as well.


I think the Fetching hand warmers I gave to my grand-niece were a big hit as Andrea promptly put them on, wore them through lunch and still had them on when we left a couple of  hours later.










My nephew, Darryl, seemed to like the hat I knit especially for him.















Monday, Marion and I ventured to the Little Red Mitten, a delightful yarn shop in St. Thomas, 25 km south of London, ON. I bought a couple of skeins of Briggs and Little Durasport (sock yarn) to knit some more Selbuvotter.

Speaking of Selbuvotter, I finished another pair of them. This pair will go in the Durham Hand Knitting Guild's display at the Whitby Public Library for the month of January. I have to get them and a few other items to Martina tomorrow so she can take them to the library.













These mittens will eventually be on sale.

This morning we woke up to this.




There was a massive snow squall from Grand Bend to Port Stanley. As we were staying near Komoka, we were right in the line of the squall. The snow was very light and fluffy. Marion, Skip and I moved snow around for a bit but lacked proper shovelling equipment.


Here I am with the snow up to my knees. It wasn't cold or windy - just lots and lots of the fluffy white stuff.










Skip went down the driveway to the road and as luck would have it, a guy was going by in his spiffy new Kubota front-end loader. He was an NHL player, possibly from the Maple Leafs, and he lives in the neighbourhood. He kindly consented to clear out the driveway so we could get out and drive home.



Our hero (whoever he was) to the rescue!













As soon as we made it to the 401 from the 402, there was no more snow falling and the roads got barer and drier as we continued eastward - altho' the temperatures were dropping and the wind was picking up. There had been no snowfall at all outside of the line of the snow squall. Freaky!

No comments:

Post a Comment