Tuesday 8 March 2011

Hydrangea

I've been working on Anne Hanson's "Hydrangea" neck warmer from the "Brave New Knits" book.
There are a couple of tricks to the pattern, such as when one is required to slip the first stitch at the beginning of a couple of rows, but it's not hard to keep things straight because the lace pattern is very easy to read.
All I have left to do is finish the rest of the leaf edging.
It's the first time I've added an edging in this way and am amazed at how easy it is to knit perpendicularly to the 'tube' and just knit the last stitch of the edge together with a stitch at the edge of the tube.

The yarn is yummy KnitPicks Andean Treasure - 100% baby alpaca sport weight.
I only have about an hour more of knitting on it and I'll be done. It was a really fast project!

While at the public library today, I was able to get the Rose Trellis stole chart printed. I'd been knitting it from the computer screen and was having a heck of a time keeping track of my place in the row, particularly after deciding to modify the pattern. Now with a printed copy, I'll be able to use 'sticky notes' to keep track of where I am. I'm also considering abandoning project using the Noro King yarn and finding some nice laceweight yarn for the project.

Skip and I will be doing some sight-seeing tomorrow in the Palm Harbor area so I hope to drop into Uncommon Threads at some point. Maybe they'll have some laceweight yarn for me?

On Sunday, our friends David and Susan Underwood came for a visit on their way to Sarasota. We had a delicious dinner at our favourite Italian restaurant in the area, Argento's, and as usual had leftovers which we enjoyed the next day. It was nice to have a good visit and compare notes on our drives to Florida.

On Friday, Skip and I are going to see the Yankees play Atlanta at George Steinbrenner Field in Tampa. Evidently, the stadium is a smaller version of the old Yankee Stadium. After the game, we're going to continue southward and visit David and Susan for a couple of nights and the intervening day in palatial splendour at the home of Susan's sister. Wheeee! I hope to hit a couple of yarn shops whilst in the area. I'm hoping David and Skip will get out for a round of golf.

- - - - - -
Another Italian pronunciation bugaboo of mine are the 'gl' and 'gn' sounds. The blend of 'gl' is like the double 'l' sound in million. The 'g' is not pronounced. Meglio (may-leo phonetically) means better. Tagliatelle (noodles) is pronounced ta-lia-tel-le.

The `g`in lasagna is not pronounced. I think of the `gn`sound like the `ni`sound in `onion`. Bologna is pronunced Bo-lo-nia. It is equivalent to the 'ñ' sound in Spanish as in mañana (tomorrow).

No comments:

Post a Comment