Tuesday 11 August 2015

And Yet, Two More

Back in November of 2013, Skip and I went on a wonderful knitting tour of Ireland. While there, one of the people we met on the tour purchased a lovely Aran sweater.
When I got home, I deconstructed the pattern. It included the Snail's Trail stitch which we had learned at our knitting classes in Galway and on the Aran isle of Inisheer. It is done over two stitches on the wrong side of the knitting as follows: yo, K2, pass the yo over the 2 knit stitches. On the right side, a column of twisted stitches is created.
Before I found my notes yesterday from the knitting tour and our classes, I tried to find the stitch description online and wasn't able to. I'm glad I found those notes.

Using the deconstructed pattern from Mary's sweater, I knit another square.
While on the tour, we had a full morning with Carol Feller. She went through some of the designs from her book Contemporary Irish Knits
and we knit a couple of swatches.

One of the patterns she also showed us was her Portulaca cardigan.
Photo - Joseph Feller
She designed a fairly intricate set of cables including bobbles.  I knit another square using the two cable sets that flank the button band in the front.
The lower set of bobbles were done as written with a 7-stitch bobble: K1, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, then pass the first 6 sts over the last stitch. When I did the second set, I only did a 5-stitch bobble and liked the look of it much better.

I now only have 4 squares to go. I wanted to do something from Carol's book, but I haven't been able to locate it. I have looked in all the usual places but now must start looking in unusual places. I have a feeling, I'll find it in a tote bag somewhere in my office/knitting room.

No comments:

Post a Comment