Monday 22 February 2016

Quilt Show

Last weekend, the Rio Grande Valley Quilt Guild sponsored a quilt show at the Convention Center here on the island.

The level of difficulty varied from fairly basic to very complex. Here are a lot of photos of some of the quilts.

Bargello-style quilting

Convex Illusions

Quilt with items of clothing from the child's first year

Bear's paw

'Diamonds are Forever'

Christmas trees
Paper pieced Christmas tree
Another paper pieced quilt from a McCalls Quilting pattern
Hollow blocks
A striking monochromatic quilt using one block pattern
The pinwheels on the top right were 3D


This was a precut strip quilt using Rowan fabrics called 'Jelly Roll Race 2' by Missouri Star Quilt Co.


There were three different quilts that used this maze pattern.
I believe this was done with jelly roll strips as well
 I then attended a talk by Melinda Bula about her work.
She 'paints' with fabric and quilting.

The backs of her quilts are as stunning as the fronts. She even took care to do the stitching on the rod pocket so there wouldn't be a strip of black fabric across the top.




I even found a quilt that was something I could even do. I found the pattern online from Missouri Star Quilt Company.
Here was one that was very scrappy and used almost every colour.
I've seen this one, or something very similar to this, being made on a quilting show on PBS.
Urban Legends
It was displayed at one of the vendor's booths.

There were a couple of vendors selling the Rowan designer fabrics.

Carnival S
More of Melinda's work


Not Melinda's but something a little different.
I'm a sucker for maple leaves. Which has reminded me I have an unfinished maple leaf quilt top at home I should finish up.
This was a very clever sewist's 'Periodic Table' quilt.
And something a little different from one of the vendors.
An opaque zebra?
I really enjoyed the quilt show. I do love looking at pretty things and marvel at the creativity of some people.

Melinda Bula will be teaching at the Canadian Quilter's Association 'Quilt Canada 2016' in Mississauga in June. It would be an excellent opportunity to take one of her classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment