Thursday 23 June 2022

In the Mail and Fiesta 2022

Yesterday I received the fabric kits I ordered last month for the floral paper piecing blocks. The shipping was 2/3 of the cost of the three kits!



A couple of the backgrounds aren't to my liking so I will probably substitute other fabrics from my stash of batik squares left over from another project.

I purchased the patterns separately and can print out as many as I like of each flower. 

I'm meeting up with the Pansy Patch Quilts and Stitchery designer tomorrow morning to receive the fabrics, threads, and patterns for the model I will be stitching for her. I may have to pop into Quilter's Cupboard for a quick look-see. I really don't have anything new in mind that I need anything for - I'm still finding places for the loot I acquired on my Syracuse trip.

Last night Skip and I picked up food at the Italian pavilion to bring home to eat. Fiesta is on again this year in a much pared-down format. Only 10 pavilions are open for dining - some only for a day or two. No Greek one this year.  This year, no passports are needed for the evening shows and dinner.

The lasagna I had was stupendous. There were 5 layers of noodles and meat sauce. The noodles were so thin and tasty - definitely home made and from scratch. I bought an arancino with sauce (not stuffed with anything but rice) and had the delicious cannolo (singular of 'cannoli') for dessert last night. The arancino will be a snack or maybe even my supper this evening. 

I have attended at least one pavilion for Fiesta since moving here 33 years ago. I taught in the south end of Oshawa where many of the pavilions are located and since it was always on during exam time, we used to go out for lunch as many times as we could. As retirees, Skip and I try to attend as many lunches and dinners as possible during Fiesta Week - which always starts with a parade through downtown Oshawa on Father's Day.

A few years ago Todd and Shingo were visiting that week and we ate every lunch and dinner at one or another of the pavilions. At night time, some have their cultural groups do shows - mostly singing and dancing. 

For us, it really marks the beginning of summer. I, of course, always welcome the opportunity to not to have to plan, shop for, prepare, and clean up after a meal.

Here's to a great summer of 2022!

No comments:

Post a Comment