Sunday 29 October 2023

How I'm Fully Finishing an Ornament - Part One

I finally got all the stitching and embellishing done on my Holly 'n Hardanger ornament.

Yesterday I began the process of FFOing it. I cut out around the design and zigzagged the edge. Then I covered the opening of the Hardanger area with a fabric, anchoring it with a piece of light, fusible interfacing.


Then I cut the backing circles, batting, and backing fabric. I used 2 layers of Bristol  on the recommendation of a YouTuber (I forget who), glueing them together and tack glueing them to the batting and put them under heavy books to dry.
Next I sewed running stitches around the lining and laid the batting side of the circle down on it.
When I pulled on the running stitches, it evenly encircled the edges of the Bristol circle - yoyo style.
Ready to attach to the front.
I followed the same process of attaching the stitching to the mounting circle. Then I glued the two mounted pieces back to back - spreading the glue fairly close to the edges,
I laid another Bristol circle on top of the stitched side so the clips wouldn't leave dents. They probably wouldn't have but I didn't want to risk it.
Some of the glue oozed out a bit but it will dry clear and when I add the beaded strand around the edge, any 'oozage' will be covered.
I'm now waiting for everything to dry and will continue to the last few steps in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment