Thursday 7 March 2024

I'm Obsessed!

Marilyn loaned me her Frank Lloyd Wright jigsaw puzzle.

I liked that the one side was a mirror image of the other. I was easily able to match motifs to their mirror images. When I sorted, I, of course, pulled out the edge pieces, then isolated any with the small parallelograms, and colours with colours. I also liked that the skinny tabs were up and down and the wide tabs were on the sides. It really helped with orientation of the pieces.

Now being totally obsessed, I found a sale at Giant Tiger from a Facebook ad (those algorithms are eerie) and beetled over there and found a puzzle that looked fun for $5. It was only 500 pieces.
It was like solving 15 small puzzles with the doors being quite distinctive. When I sorted, I made a pile of yellow pieces, and another pile of green pieces. Then started solving individual doors after assembling most of the border. 

At the one Giant Tiger, I didn't see a 1000 piece puzzle that I liked so my excursion today will be to head to another one and see what they have.

I am so hooked! I think the satisfying thing about puzzles is the feeling of accomplishment in a micro sense - finding the exact spot for each individual piece. I also like the 'snap' of the pieces going into place. The door puzzle pieces weren't as thick as the previous ones, but they held together quite well once put together.

I have abandoned the crochet checkerboard blanket for now. I may rip it out and just do rows of double crochet just to use up more my stash. As crocheting really eats up yarn, I feared having to purchase more yarn (defeating the purpose of stash busting) to maintain the checkerboards. 

Last night I worked on the sampler while watching the Bob Marley documentary with Skip. I got the mermaid stitched except for her eyes plus a couple of fish. I can now fill in the ocean around her.
 
Next time I'm able to concentrate on counting, I'll complete the vine/floral border on the left.
Decisions still need to be made about what colour to do the whale's tummies and blowholes as well as selecting the mortar colour for the house. I guess I could outline the flag as it would be good for mindless filling in during social stitching.

The weather has been awesome. Our snow removal folks asked if I still needed them this month and I decided I could probably handle things on my own. I thanked them very much for their good work. They did only have to come 3 times but the peace of mind was worth the megabucks we shelled out. I also asked them to put us on the list for next winter. I was surprised at their response to my comments saying they'd cover our snow clearing this month if we gave them a 5-star review on Google. I had no problem doing that so we are covered this month if we do get any snow over 5cm.

Other than puzzling and stitching I haven't done much. Housework always is there for me to do. I have, however, continued with my Hello Fresh subscription. I am getting spoiled now and really don't feel like planning, shopping for, and cooking any suppers. We do have lots of bits of leftovers in the freezer so tonight will be an attempt at clearing out some of that stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment