Thursday 29 July 2010

Aidan's Socks

When I was visiting my friend, Aidan, in June, he asked me if I would knit him a pair of socks with yellow, orange and green stripes.
Aidan, age 8
When I got home I remembered that I had hand painted some Blue Faced Leicester yarn those exact colours last fall at the yarn dyeing workshop I attended.

At the time, I tried to do fairly narrow bands of colour so as to avoid pooling of colours. Basically I wanted there to be a row or round of one colour, alternating with the other colours.
Believe it or not, the shade of green pictured above is called 'kelly green' . I really wanted to use 'spruce' which was a nice, darkish blue-green but it had run out by the time I got to dyeing this hank of yarn.

Once the dye was set by steaming the plastic-wrapped, Ziploc-encased yarn for an hour, rinsed and dried, it looked like this after rewinding into a skein.
The yellow adjacent to the kelly green made a lime green colour. The orange stayed pretty orangey.

I used fairly small needles so it would make a very sturdy fabric as there is no nylon to strengthen it. They will have to be hand washed but it doesn't involve too much extra work - basically soaking them for 20 min. in tepid water with wool wash, pressing the water out of them, rolling them in a towel to get more water out and laying flat to dry.

This evening I finished the second sock.

This is the first project I've completed with my hand painted yarn. Although the final product might not be exactly what Aidan envisioned, I hope he likes them anyway. It was fun to knit them for him.

4 comments:

  1. How exciting to finish off something with your own spun yarn! Very cool. I'm still trying to work up the nerve to try socks again (it's been almost 2 yrs since I last tried), but seeing these ones has almost gotten me off the sidelines to try again....maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia, Just to clarify, I hand painted the bare commercial yarn. I still haven't been able to part with any of my handspun or commit any of it to an item that has been finished. I guess I'll get there. I've never spun enough yarn to render anything bigger than mittens or a smallish scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it might not be the type of stripes he thought of, but they are very cool green and orange socks!

    ReplyDelete