Thursday 22 July 2010

Souvenir Yarn

When I'm travelling, I try to visit as many yarn shops as our schedule will allow. This trip, our first yarn stop was at London-Wul Fibre Arts just east of Moncton in Lakeburn, NB. Click to see a video.

There, I picked up two colours of a laceweight alpaca/wool blend,











and a skein of Heidi's luscious hand painted sock yarn.







I couldn't pass by this Mini Maiden laceweight 50/50 silk wool blend. That's a whopping 500m in the 100g skein.









This hand dyed yarn is 200m and 100g (50% baby alpaca, 40% merino and 10% cashmere) that will make a cozy neck warmer.









And who can pass up wonderful hand made goat's milk soap? Our motel rooms smelled wonderful with them in my luggage.









While in Fredericton, we dropped into Yarns on York. These two skeins of Malabrigo Silky Merino in Indiecita colourway were calling to me. I have such a 'thing' for jewel tones.






If you're ever in Sackville, do drop into the Craft Gallery at the Tourist Info centre at the end of  Mallard St. just off the Trans Canada Highway. All the items for sale are by local artists -- no "Made in China" stickers can be found anywhere.



I also bought a couple of bars of gently scented hand made glycerine soap.

What a great way to provide a marketplace for local artisans in a high traffic area like a tourist information centre!

No comments:

Post a Comment