Monday 18 February 2013

A Good Yarn

Last week, Skip and I ventured to a new (to us) part of Sarasota for a barbecue lunch at Sonny's Real Pit BBQ  and to visit the local yarn shop, A Good Yarn.

Sonny's has 4 types of BBQ sauce: mild, sweet, smokin' and sizzlin' sweet. The last two have jalapenos in them = slow burn. We like eating out for lunch because the lunch specials tend to be very reasonably priced.
Down the road, A Good Yarn was a comprehensive yarn shop. They carry almost every yarn one could think with the exception of Noro. They even had a wall of Koigu.
To the right with you come in the front door is the spinning and fibre room. They carry Schacht wheels and supplies.

Behind that room is a large classroom and video-viewing room. They run about 25 classes a month, almost every day of the week.

I liked this multi-coloured Prism sample sweater that was on display, 5001 Boogie Woogie Stripes.
I just walked around and snapped a few photos.
There was a stunning amount of yarn.
There were handpainted yarns sporting colours of the local NFL, NCAA and NBA teams (bottom right).
Considering the sub-tropical climate, there is a huge supply of wool and wool blend yarns.

I could have spent hours in there but didn't really have any patterns in mind. I did, however, buy some lovely Madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light yarn in the lovely Mineral colourway - Probably enough to do a big, big shawl or a couple of medium size shawls.

I continue to plug away at the Spectra shawl.  I have completed 62 out of 86 wedges.
It's still pretty fun to knit. I'm not sure I'm going to block it unless I get my hands on some flexible blocking wires which would make blocking curves much easier.

1 comment:

  1. Wow what a fabulous yarn store...and Schacht wheels too.
    I am considering a DT Schacht saxony wheel :-)

    ReplyDelete