Wednesday 20 February 2013

Marie Selby Botanical Gardens (Pictorial)

Yesterday Skip and I toured the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens. It is one of the most comprehensive collections of orchids as well as other sub-tropical plants.

We saw lots of different trees, plants and flowers. Unfortunately, I left my good camera at the condo so these are shots I took with my iPhone.

The gardens are on the shore of Sarasota Bay. Here's a popular lookout view near the gazebo where many weddings are performed.

Here is a bunch of non-orchids.
Anthurium
Some type of Bromeliad in bloom
Blanket flower - gailliarda

 There was a very nice koi pond with fish up to 18" (45cm)  long.


The silk cotton Bombax tree had these large, red blooms that were about 7" in diameter.
The rest of these are various types of orchids, most of which were growing in a big conservatory or the greenhouse/gift shop.



 
 
 

 
Lady Slipper
Some type of 4-leaf clover

2 comments:

  1. These are staggering pictures, given that you took them on your phone! It all looks so lush and tropical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very impressed with the photos taken with my iPhone 4S. It has an 8 megapixel camera and a panoramic feature. In bright or diffused light it takes fabulous pictures and automatically adjusts for macro photos.

    ReplyDelete