Friday 1 April 2016

Now Back to Our Regularly Scheduled Knitting Posts

I got a project underway that will work for knitting in the car. I'm knitting another pair of twined mittens - this time, using Patons Classic Wool and twisting the s-twist yarns in the other direction (counterclockwise).

Once again, I've started it and ripped it out completely or partially at least 4 times. The first time, the  gauge was all wrong. The second time I didn't get a couple of the techniques right because the WiFi was really crappy last night and I couldn't view the instructional video for the increases and the 'deep purl' on Craftsy. Third time I didn't do the increases right and the fourth time, I forgot to switch to the larger needle after the herringbone braid.

Twined knitting is a pain to rip out because the two yarns are twisted around each other and it's really fiddly to separate and re-wind them. I'm almost caught up to the point where I ripped it out last time.
The two-coloured element that looks like Latvian braid is actually called herringbone braid and is done with a slightly smaller needle. The technique is actually the same as Latvian braid.
Under the braid are what look like 'o's. They're actually 'crook' stitches stacked above one another to create the illusion of an 'o'. And they're pretty fun to do. The crook stitches are also used for the patterning on the back of the hand of the mitten.

The fabric created is doubly thick because you are alternating the two yarns always twisting in the same direction - one from the outside of the ball and one from the inside of the ball. The yarns get tangled so every row I dangle and twirl the mitten, pulling the yarns apart. It's a bit tedious but I get a good rhythm going and it moves along fairly quickly.

To define the thumb and create a gusset, a 'deep purl' is done indicated on the wrong side here with an arrow. It is called a 'bena' in Swedish - the literal translation being a part like a part in your hair.
On the right side, it is like the name, a 'deep purl'.
I think I finally have it on its way. The Classic Wool feels really nice. It's the only 100% wool yarn I could find down here at the big box store as the closest yarn shop is about 5 hours away.

I suspect I will be able to complete these mittens before we arrive home. It's about 34 hours of actual driving, half of which I'll be doing. Certainly I should be able to complete the pair of mittens in 17 hours.

I haven't touched my Shalor Aran cardigan even though I schlepped all the pieces I had knit down here, an extra skein of yarn and a partially completed sleeve - in hopes I'd finish it and get it all sewn together. It's been two months since I even looked at it so Shalor and I will need to get reacquainted before I can make any more progress.

In my travel knitting bag I also have a Syncopation sock in progress, the diagonal ribbed men's scarf to finish up as a sample for the cruise in November, and the yarn wound and ready to start a cowl.

We've had a fabulous vacation down here in south Texas these past two months but it's time for us to resume our lives and customary activities back home. Next Thursday, I'll have my first ukulele class and the following Monday the first tap class of the next level from where I left off in December.

Skip and I tried to take our commemorative sunset photo this evening but there was too much cloud cover. This will have to do.
Farewell to our beautiful island paradise. Hasta luego.

No comments:

Post a Comment