Monday 21 May 2018

What I've Been Watching...

I get a lot of stitching and knitting done whilst watching TV. Between a PVR and Netflix, I mostly watch things that really interest me rather than just programs to fill the time.

I record a lot of documentaries from CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Company), TVO (Ontario public television network) and BBC. I also watch documentaries on Netflix as well as TV series - present and past.

Lately I've been watching Jerry Seinfeld's "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee". I have been laughing out loud at several of them - highlighting the greatest living comedians of our time. In some episodes (about 20 min long), they are in awe of Jerry Seinfeld and appear almost star-struck. In other episodes he is interviewing comedians that were his role models - Don Rickles, Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner - the series originally aired two years ago and since that time Don Rickles has died. Sometimes the cars are amazing. Other times, they break down. It's a pretty funny series.

I like foreign series as well, particularly Scandinavian ones like 'Dicte' (about a journalist who returns to her hometown from the big city) and 'Rita' (about a very competent school teacher whose personal life is a mess). However, it's hard to do embroidery or stitching whilst watching a foreign film with English subtitles.

Other Netflix shows I've enjoyed:

  • The Crown - starting with Elizabeth IIs early years
  • The Making of a Murderer - Michigan murder documentary
  • The Keepers - documentary about a nun's murder in Baltimore
  • My Next Guest Needs No Introduction - David Letterman et al
  • I Am the Ambassador - two years of American ambassador to Denmark - I first watched this on TVO
  • Dirty Money - investigation documentary
  • House of Cards - watch it soon before it disappears because of the Kevin Spacey sexual abuse scandal
  • The Final Year - Obama's last year in office
There are lots of British mystery series that intrigue me as well as full BBC series that have previously aired on PBS.

There is so much crap on TV but if one looks carefully, many informative, entertaining shows are there. 


2 comments:

  1. Geri have you seen the British series...Call the Midwife? It's really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I LOVE 'Call the Midwife' and have watched it from the beginning on PBS. This season's finale was very sad. :-(

      Delete