Tuesday 16 July 2019

First Adult of 2019

Things have been getting exciting with my monarch operation. I had 3 chrysalises (chrysalids/pupae) until this afternoon when one eclosed.
I left the Caterpillar Castle unzipped in hope he'd fly out
but I had to encourage him.
I took him out of the castle and placed him on an echinacea bloom in my garden so I could get a couple of photos.
I finally got a shot with his wings open. The spots on the hind wings determine that it is a 'he'.
 I then moved him over to a zinnia bloom to get a couple more shots.

After which he flew over to the neighbour's yard.

On my way back into the house I found a decent-sized larva munching away on a milkweed plant beside the deck. I cut the top off the plant and put it and the plant in a reservoir and into the castle.
I estimate it's less than a week away from pupating.

Today Skip and I were in the garden and saw a monarch land on a milkweed leaf. After it flew off, I checked under the leaf and sure enough, she had laid an egg. That leaf is not inside as well.

I'm heading off tomorrow for a crafty adventure with 7 other crafty friends. I have left the caterpillar care in the hands of Skip and Scooter. Hopefully all will go well for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment