Tuesday 18 February 2020

RGV Quilt Show 2020

On Friday, I attended the Rio Grande Valley Quilt Show that was held on the island at the Convention Center. I took over 200 photos so will only share my highlights.

I liked the rag quilt in the shape of a dog. It was cozy flannel.
Lava Lamp had the 1960s aesthetic. It wasn't that remarkable from a distance.
Up close, I marveled at the 'matchstick' quilting. It used over 10,000 ft (almost 2 miles) of thread.
This looked like an accordion-folded Texas flag.
I liked the different sized 'jars'.
The bee-themed fabric was the labels.
This hand-dyed fabric represented the felled tree stump.
 The maple leaf was 3D.
This piece used batiks and had a lot of dimension
Several quilts had the kaleidoscope technique.
The piecing wasn't the most accurate. But the overall effect was 'mille fiori'-esque.
There were wool appliquéd pieces on this "Where the Cows Come Home" quilt.
The John Deere tractor caught my eye.
And the sheep.
This was another use of multiple cuts of the same fabric.

Paper piecing.

A string-quilt with the 'illusion' floating block technique.
This is one my friend, Barb, would like with the many blue fabrics. It's called "Blue Delft".
All the fabrics in this Dallas Cowboys star were either Dallas Cowboys prints or colours.
This had a very vintage look with crochet doilies attached to it and various block
of cross-stitch
and embroidery embellishments.
"Blue Birds" featured many fussy cut birds
that had quilting around each and stipple quilting beyond that.

Laura Heine designed this pattern called Pinkerton. The quilter calls it 'Pretty in Pink'.
"Around the Village Green"
featured some lovely appliqué work
and embroidered stitches.
This was a very interesting use for a cutwork tablecloth. It was sewn to a solid background then quilted.
The pileated woodpecker piece could hang in a corner of a window,

"Our Town" was the most intricate quilt of all.
The OPP badge caught my eye.
as did many other Canadian icons.



This was a great use of Kaffe Fassett flowers.
"Birds on a Wire" featured wool felt birds appliquéd and quilted on a random newsprint background.

Each of these snowman blocks represented a different month of the year.
They were beautifully embroidered with variegated blue thread.

There was also some 'bling' on some of the snowflakes.
A unique treatment of hexies.
"Wild Orange Cat" is a Mill Hill pattern  with beads, stitched onto Aida fabric then sashed and quilted.
There were SO many more I could have included but I had to draw the line somewhere.

There were dozens of vendors. I didn't buy any fabric but did purchase a two-fabric quilt applique kit. Instructions say to lay the appliqué fabric on top of the background fabric and stitch along the lines on the template. Then cut away parts of the appliqué fabric to expose the background fabric.
I'm pretty sure I can find some more exciting batik fabrics for my turtle quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment