Tuesday 3 August 2021

Fussy Cutting

I made another cross stitch clutch this morning. This time I fussy cut to feature the main element of the fabric.

I made so many mistakes: wrong colour thread; inserted the batting incorrectly; basted before putting the snaps on; use the wrong colour snap at first; not sewing stuff down properly so had to glue some areas, etc. etc. It probably took double the time to re-do things done in error. What messed me up is that both the buckram (stiff, woven interfacing) and batting were fusible so I screwed up fusing things to other things. Oh well.

Fortunately I had an appropriate colour of felt for the needle holder.
The sewing is not perfect but I give the overall artistic impression a 9 out of 10.
The front and the back look the same and are centred. It wasn't that hard to do as I am now pretty comfortable with the pattern and the sizes of the pieces. Normally, directional fabric poses a problem for folded items but it's fine for this project because the pocket divider that covers the other side can be oriented to go in the right direction. 

I found appropriate beads for the zipper pull.
These clutches are so cute!

I have another one to make but I won't get it done by the deadline (her birthday). Better late than never.

No comments:

Post a Comment