Tuesday 19 October 2021

A Fall Colour Tour

Skip and I hit the open road today, knowing the weather would be fabulous and the autumn leaves reaching their peak. 

As Skip had never driven on the new portion of the 407 from Oshawa to Hwy 115, we went by that route, then ducked down to the Kirby exit and the road to Bewdley. We continued cross country as we could drive more slowly and take in all the colours, and vistas as we went over the crests of hills en route. 

The route we took had us go right past the Primrose Donkey Sanctuary. It's only open for visitors on Thursday and Sunday from 1pm to 3pm so we didn't go in. We got a good look at some of the inhabitants from the road. 




While going through Alderville, we noted the cheap(er) gas prices and made a note to top up the tank on the way back home.

Once at Campbellford, I headed to Your #1 Sewing Centre on Bridge St E. I remembered I was looking for the pattern I saw at Thimbles and Things last month and they had it.

I was going to take their online class but decided to just get the pattern and make it myself. In reading the actual pattern there was a suggestion to make one side with the green fabrics for Christmas and the other side with autumnal colours which I thought was a great idea.

I have enough different green fabrics to do the Christmas version. Will have to scout around in my stash for autumnal colours.

I also picked up some small seam rippers which are great for removing erroneous stitches quickly. Finally, I bought two 1/3m of Brother Rabbit in Indigo from Moda in their Morris Garden collection. 
It wasn't until I got home that I noticed the 2 thirds I bought totalled less than $6!! I will definitely hit the 1/2m and 1/3m bins next time I'm up there. 

We planned to buy some buttertarts and coffee at Dooher's Bakery across the street from the quilt shop but there was a big socially-distanced lineup outside. We quickly revised our plans and got subs a few doors down at Master Submarine and dined at a picnic table along the river across from the big toonie. It had warmed to almost 20C by this point so was very pleasant.


After lunch we dropped into Kerr's Corner Books  for a little look-see. It is a well-curated little book shop  with many of the current bestsellers and is attached to a rubber stamp shop,  Frog's Whiskers Ink. The proprietor (Mr Kerr?) informed me his wife designs the rubber stamps and he makes them.

Right away I saw "Unravelling Canada: A Knitting Odyssey" 

in which 'author and knitter Sylvia Olsen explores Canada's history, landscape, economy, and social issues on a cross-country knitting-themed road trip'. I was intrigued so I bought it as well as a 2022 Lang wall calendar of songbirds and bird houses.

Back at the car we headed a bit further east to the Empire Cheese Co-Operative

Skip selected some 5 year old cheddar and some creamery butter. I voted for cheese curds. 

We retraced our 'steps' through Campbellford and Roseneath to top up our tank with gas in Alderville - $0.20/L cheaper.

We then made for home taking the more direct route to the 401. 

It was a lovely day.

No comments:

Post a Comment