Sunday 20 February 2011

"We're Not in Kansas Anymore"

Yesterday Skip and I went to a local flea market. There were over 100 booths selling mostly junk. One booth that was particularly remarkable to us was "Creative Concealment" specializing in hand gun holsters of every imaginable kind.
Apparently it is legal to carry a concealed weapon in the state of Florida. It makes one think twice when tempted to make a menacing gesture whilst driving.

There were a variety of holsters can be strapped to one's leg, one's belt or under one's coat. There were women's leather purses with zipper pockets that would easily hold a small revolver.
A couple of days ago, we dropped in for $2 margaritas and shrimp in a basket at Hurricane Hank`s. Out front was a limo that had Mossy Oak exterior.
Also, yesterday we paid a visit to the Dillard's outlet in NE Tampa at the University (of Southern Florida - go Bulls!) Mall. Everything was on sale for 70% off the manufacturer`s price plus an additional 30% or 50% off depending on the item. Most of the items have a designer label.

Using simple math, 70% off makes a $100 item cost $30. An additional 30% off brings the price down to $21. An additional 50% off, brings the price down to $15. That`s an actual discount of 79% and 85% respectively. I bought 2 designer dresses and 4 tops for $78 saving about $300. I`m relieved that I have not one but two formal dresses for our upcoming Panama Canal cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver. Skip purchased about 7 items and paid $72.

In knitting news, I finished the back of my Cassidy cardigan. The pattern is very intuitive once the cables are established.
I have started the sleeve and am knitting it in the round rather than flat as outlined by the pattern. It is going well. You can see the shaping that is achieved by decreasing and then increasing stitches one stitch in from the edge. The colour below is more accurate.
Yesterday we also visited a very nice yarn shop, Fiber Art, Inc. in Odessa, FL. I found it strange that their website contained no photos! The store is very aesthetically appealing and full of colour - wierd. Anyway, I bought a couple of skeins of Noro King, a multicoloured yarn I hadn`t heard of before. The 50g skein has 230 metres of 33% acrylic, 23% silk, 23% kid mohair, 20% wool and 1% nylon in fingering weight. It would make a beautiful stole or scarf.
I also couldn`t resist two skeins Louisa Harding Grace Hand-Dyed 50% merino/50% silk yarn in DK weight.
While reviewing some of the photos in my camera I came across this one that I took in the Borders bookstore in Gainesville, FL on our way here. It was nice to see "A Needle Pulling Thread", a Canadian publication so far south in the US. This issue in particular was exciting to see because it contains Martina's ' Celtic Flower Bag' pattern.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Geri! Guess I don't need to ask if you are having a good time.
    You must be really missing the snow and cold eh ;>)

    ReplyDelete