Saturday 9 June 2012

Finishing My Homework

I have been away with Skip for a few days attending an LPGA event in Rochester, NY and partaking in some retail therapy on the way there and on the way home via Buffalo/Williamsville, NY. Skip and I have attended the golfing event almost every year since I retired. We very much enjoy seeing professional golfers 'up close',  spending the day outside in beautiful surroundings and noshing on the free samples in the Wegmans tent.

I augmented my fabric stash at JoAnn Fabrics and WalMart (many WalMarts in the US have excellent fabric departments) and purchased a few sewing and quilting accessories. I had previously printed several discount coupons from AC Moore, Michaels and JoAnn Fabrics. They honour each others' coupons so I used them where I'd get the most benefit.

This morning Mo and I went to a yarn and knitting book garage sale in Pickering. The woman had advertised on Ravelry and had listed everything she was putting out for sale. I had already identified the books I wanted to buy and bought some yarn from her as well.
She let them go for less than half the price.

Then Mo and I went the Art of Fabric, a very nice fabric shop in Pickering. After I got home, I mowed the lawn and whacked the weeds while Skip made chicken wire cages for our tender plants. The neighbourhood bunny has been treating our garden as his own personal salad bar and Skip has already replanted peppers and tomatoes once. Now, (in between rain showers) he's working on trying to plug the holes under the fence where the little bugger is getting in. The bunny is very cute but he is SO destructive. Skip has been using his slingshot and marbles to discourage him. Hopefully the bunny will now associate pain to our yard and go eat somewhere else.

I have some stealth sewing I want to do this week so I thought I'd finish at least one UFO - my weaving homework. I had woven about 17" before we went on our little trip so I finished the last 7 inches. I was able to keep track of how much I had done because every 4 inches, I put a piece of green yarn on the edge.

I then used the thin weft yarn to finish my section. At first, I continued with twill weaving
 
and then I remembered that I was supposed to plain weave it so I unwove it and reworked it plain.
 
I'm really torn between getting a rigid heddle loom or a 4 or 8 harness loom. 

One of my favourite pieces of equipment is the boat shuttle. I've seen them on eBay and may just invest in one myself even before I get my own loom.
  
The last meeting of the Shuttlebugs for the 2011- 2012 year is on Wednesday. I can now pass the loom off to someone else so they can complete their towel. Maybe they'll lend me another Dorothy loom for the summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment