Tuesday 29 December 2020

Scissor Keeper

I hope you all had a nice Christmas if you celebrate that. In our home it is a secular holiday and one I enjoy being home for and spending time with loved ones. This year it was just Skip and me but it was very relaxed and enjoyable.

Before Christmas I found this cool video on YouTube for making a scissor keeper. Several of my crafty friends are quilters or sewists and I thought they'd appreciate something to keep their fabric scissors safe , handy for transport to retreats (when we get to go to them again), and away from folks wanting to use them for other purposes.

In the description box below the video there were links to the materials required and the pattern template. I printed out the template and checked it against my largest fabric scissors and decided to enlarge it 5% to make sure they'd fit.

I had everything in my stash - the perfect lining fabric and appropriate exterior fabric so I set to work. I first cut out the pieces and quilted the outer fabric to the batting. Then I added the zipper, topstitched, then sewed it together with the lining.

The steps are exactly the same as making any zipper bag. On some of them (when I remembered) I added a piece of ribbon for a pull tab.
Scissor lining!

My favourite, easy quilting pattern is using the 30/60 degree quilting lines on my cutting mat as a guide. I line everything up then use masking tape beside where I want to sew. It's quick and easy and I don't even have to mark the fabric.

I also added a charm with a lobster clip onto the zipper pull. On this one, I just did a wavy quilt pattern.
I'm really happy with how they turned out. Of course I kept one for myself. The recipients seemed to like them, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment