Friday 29 January 2021

Sock Progress

 While I procrastinate about what stitching project to start (or continue), I finished my first camo sock.

I cast on 70 sts. The K3, p2 ribbed cuff   is 7 1/2" long. I and used Eye of Partridge heel.
I continued the EOP heel on the bottom stitches of the heel. I decreased in the gusset to 65 sts which is close to my foot circumference minus 10% - for negative ease.
And I have cast on the second sock.

In scrappy sock news, I have most of the legs done. The two-at-a-time thing is going well. I use the beginning and end of the same ball of yarn to achieve identical twins. If the yarn runs out, I just change colours. 

You can see that not all yarns are the same density. That's OK. It all averages out. I just make sure that there's nylon in every yarn I use (rather than 100% wool) so the stripes won't shrink or felt. Side note: I wash my socks in a lingerie bag with a regular wash load and drape over a drying rack to dry.
Here's a closeup of the ribbing. I elimiated the dashlines by knitting all the stitches of the first round of every new colour, then do the ribbing for each round after that. 

Inside the sock you can see the dashlines (purl bumps) from the knit rows on the outside. Better the dashlines be inside the sock than on the outside.  I learned this technique* knitting a Dale of Norway sweater pattern for Skip. It was written right in the pattern. Also, I don't start and end the yarn on the same edge. I try to alternate so all the loose woven ends won't be on the same side every time.

I don't knit the same number of rows of each colour. Usually 4 - 6 rows. Then I go for a contrasting colour for the next stripe.

I plan to do the heels flaps in one colour and change colours for the heel turn, then resume striping so as to not interrupt a striped pattern on the beginning of the arch.

I'm happy to be using up even more scraps of yarn and look forward to showing off my colourful socks.

* this knitting technique (knitting first round of ribbing) won't work well on any ribbing you intend to fold back like on a sleeve or brim of a hat as the dashlines will appear on the folded back part, unless you plan for the foldback in the knitting. That is, knit the first half of the cuff like the inside of the sock shown above, then a purled fold round, then continue the technique on the right side.

No comments:

Post a Comment