Monday 24 June 2024

Summer Stitching Project

At our guild meeting last Wednesday, we were given the information about a free stitchalong that Mary Corbet is running -  a Cornflower Scissor Envelope.


A kit can be purchased separately - but with shipping and currency exchange it worked out to almost $100 CAD. Most experienced stitchers can source the DMC threads and a high count fabric they might have on hand.

I hauled out some 46ct oat Bristol linen fabric and had most of the threads in my stash except for DMC 24 which I got at Kim's on Friday. I also found my square-ish Nurge hoop which is making it easy to stitch so close to the edge.

I started tracing the pattern on the fabric according to Mary's instructions and was horrified that the Micron pen bled through to the back! Granted, I used black instead of grey but still... I remembered I still had some Sticky Fabri-Solvy so printed the design onto it then peeled the paper off the adhesive and glued it to the fabric. To keep everything square I pinned the corners into my felt pressing mat. 

Once I attached the hoop, I started stitching the stems as per Mary's instructions. First I used the chain stitch with 2 plies of thread then went back and wrapped each stitch with one strand. In fairly short order I got all the stems done with her recommended colour choices. Stitching through the water soluble stabilizer, the needle can get a bit gummy from the adhesive. It's easy to wipe off and carry on. 
I still need to do the satin stitches with the various colours on the diamond parts at the end of each stem. Then fishbone stitch on the leaves. This will take a while I suspect. But there is at least a week between releases of the next steps. I am really looking forward to stitching the cornflower petals themselves.

To attach the lining and finish the piece, my preference will be to backstitch all the way around then whip stitch through the back stitches. We shall see what Mary suggests.

My brain isn't functioning completely well yet. I have made so many mistakes crossstitching the simple pin cushion 'mattress'. The surface embroidery went a lot better.

Jeanette was going to have us over for stitching tomorrow but had to cancel so I offered my place. We have lots to talk about - upcoming projects, events, excursions, etc.

Speaking of excursions, I decided last week that I wanted to do the Hurtigruten Astronomy cruise with Jen1 and her husband. I booked it this morning and Poppy will be my roomie. This particular cruise out of Bergen, Norway has been on my 'bucket' 🪣list ever since Skip and I went on our Scandinavian tour in 2017 that ended in Bergen. Arne and Carlos voyages on this itinerary have come and gone. Next February they are having another knitting cruise but I really wanted to go later in the year when there would be more daylight. The Hurtigruten cruise departs shortly after the equinox so there will be a bit more daylight than night. Included with the cruise will be lectures and an excursion to the planetarium in Tromso.

Then I booked flights to and from Denver to visit my friend, Francey, for a week. She and her family who moved out there at least 15 years ago and I hadn't made it out there yet. 

My calendar is filling up. This is going to be my year of 'yes' - mostly.

No comments:

Post a Comment