I cast on a Helical Hat on Saturday night before coming to music camp on Sunday. I wanted to have something easy to knit during all the time I would be sitting at camp.
We have recitals every night lasting from between an hour and a half and almost three hours so it’s good for me to have something to keep my hands occupied; knitting is a great activity for this.
I grabbed a random ball of Noro Silk Garden and a ball of my handspun - probably merino, silk and nylon blend. Both yarns were DK-ish.
I used the Classic Helical Hat from HiKoo - a free pattern on Ravelry.
I cast on 96sts which is the usual size for my small head and knit the brim, including the knit round which make the fold line. The second colour was added and then in helix-style the two yarns chase each other around, alternating rounds but not creating a jog.
I finished it just now, using a crochet hook I borrowed from Jen1 to bind of the stitches at the crown.
There was an option to make it beanie style or slouchy style. I chose slouchy style to use up most of my handspun.
I thought the two colours went together very well.
This evening was our first series of culminating concerts. My handbells class and spirituals vocal group performed first. Then after intermission the Concert Band performed second.
I had an oboe malfunction and and the last minute gave my solo oboe part to the other oboe player, Monique. I haven’t had any work done on my instrument in literally decades. Actually, I don’t think I’ve ever had this instrument to a repair shop in the entire time I’ve owned it since 1972 when I purchased it second-hand from my oboe teacher. So the hunt is on for someone who can get the thing working properly again.
There will be a lengthy post more specifically dealing with music camp but that will have to wait until sometime after I return home on Sunday.
I usually made it to breakfast by 8:30am, classes started at 9:20 and ended at 6pm with dinner following immediately after. Then recitals started at 8am. Most nights I didn’t get back up to my dorm room until 11 or later. Then I’d visit Jen1 in the adjoining room for a half-hour or so then toddle back to my room to hit the sack for the night.
Tomorrow I just have a choir rehearsal at 9:20 for half an hour or so then the time off until recital time at 3pm. My last performance will be with the choir right after intermission at tomorrow night’s 8pm recital,
But with handbells, the spirituals choir, and concert band performances done, my most challenging work is over with.
(To be continued…)
No comments:
Post a Comment