Tuesday 29 January 2008

Finally in Texas! - Day 3

This morning we got on the road by 7:50am. We were roaring down I-55 and after 10 minutes I realized I had left my diamond solitaire in the motel room. It wasn't out in an obvious place and must have gotten pushed under a little wicker basket used for the facecloths on the counter. We got off at the next exit and raced back. The towels had been cleared but fortunately because the ring was hidden under the basket, it hadn't been seen by the housekeeper and was still there when I lifted it up. Yay! Believe me, there were a few tense moments until I found it.

Back on the highway we retraced our steps and continued on, this time in torrential rain. It cleared a bit as we arrived at West Memphis, Arkansas and headed westward to Little Rock. Once we passed Little Rock it had dried up and about an hour outside of Texarkana, Arkansas, the sun came out. In fact, I had to put the air conditioning on every once and a while during that time as we drove through the southern pines.

Click HERE for today's route. We've gone 2100km so far.

We stopped in at the tourist information centre just across the state line into Texarkana, TX and got a good Texas map. There were two groups of Canadians there at the same time we were - more Winter Texans-to-be. We tried a few motels before we found one that met our criteria - non-smoking, ground floor (my suitcase is huge and weighs a ton). Once in our room at the Quality Inn, Skip determined that we did not have hot water so we were moved to another room.

We then headed to Best Buy to return an item I had purchased in November and bought a Tom Tom One XL-S GPS which I'm learning how to use.

We had dinner at Amigo Juan's a local Mexican food joint. Skip had a grilled chicken strips, salad with pico de gallo, grilled rice and charro beans. I had an enchilada, taco and tamale.

I finished the first Lighthouse Gansey sock and grafted the toe in the car while Skip drove.













Here's a closeup of the pattern on the leg below the ribbing.













I have cast on the second sock and have about half of the ribbing done.

Tomorrow we hope to get to Wharton, TX where we have reserved a room at the Super 8. We hope it has all the amenities it promises - King bed, non-smoking, free wifi. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to Texas!!

    LOL how many days of driving through it do you have now??

    ReplyDelete