Saturday 2 February 2008

Birding

This morning Skip and I had a mammoth grocery shopping session at the WalMart Supercentre in Port Isabel. The only things I couldn't find were breadcrumbs and a smallish (under 8) package of chicken quarters (thighs and legs). I picked them up at the IGA this afternoon. I've made a pedicure appointment for Monday and went to the car wash. We haven't seen any automatic car washes so I had to do the coin operated spray one. I didn't do a very good job but I did get most of the nasty-looking grime off. Most of the grime is from when the car was undercoated a few weeks ago.

After Skip got up from his nap (I was snoozing a bit on the couch, too) we went over to the South Padre Island Convention Centre where there is a World Birding Centre.













Skip got me interested in his passion - birdwatching. The first time I really birdwatched away from home was when we went to Costa Rica back in March of 2003. And now I'm in South Padre Island where people come from all over the world to birdwatch. It's kind of like learning to drive a car in a Porsche.

Today in the span of a half hour, we saw 15 species of birds. The highlight was a group of six roseate spoonbills. Unfortunately, they were quite far away and my camera wasn't working very well at that precise moment. However I did see these:






Snowy egret















Moorhen
















Brown pelican













Tricolour heron










We also spotted a pied-bill grebe, a purple gallinule, great egrets, reddish egrets, great blue herons, white ibis, mottled ducks, lesser yellowlegs, and three types of gulls.

1 comment: