Wednesday 13 February 2008

Six Types of Herons!

This morning Skip and I headed to the convention centre to see what was there today. There was a stiff north wind and although it was sunny, it was a bit cooler and almost high tide. In one spot, we saw 6 types of herons within yards of each other: great egret, snowy egret, great blue heron, little blue heron, tricoloured heron and a black-crowned night heron. They were all sunning themselves in the lee of the wind and were joined by several red slider turtles, a grebe, a noisy moorhen and I finally got a good picture of the sora.



It's a little bird that is fairly secretive and has a short upturned tail.






After that, we went to the laundromat to do our laundry and were surprised at how quickly it dried. Then I remembered we didn't have any jeans or long-sleeved shirts this time. We washed them and dried them last time and put them away for the drive home. While Skip guarded our clothes, I got the car gassed up and got a car wash at the touchless wash place.

We had lunch at Coconuts on the island which boasts lunch specials like $1 hamburgers. We had today's special, coconut shrimp with cole slaw and I had the margarita special. Since we were having lunch late my stomach was very empty and the margarita went right to my knees. I got blasted on just one! I haven't been that drunk in years! Skip had to drive home (he had just had a diet Coke at lunch) and I immediately crashed on the sofa for an hour or so. Good grief - one margarita knocked me on my keester.

I was going to go out for a walk on the beach before dinner but it was too cold.

Just now we were watching a show on the Travel Channel about the top places in the world to pig out and wouldn't you know, the Number 1 World's Best Place to Pig Out was Lambert's Cafe in Sikeston, MO where Skip and I had broken bread on our way down here a couple of weeks ago. Isn't that always the way? We go somewhere for a visit or a holiday and next thing we know we see some show on TV about it or hear about someone who's also been there or there's a big article in the paper about it. Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment