Monday 26 October 2009

'Strummed' Mittens

When Marion and I were at Countrywool in Hudson, NY the day before the NY Sheep and Wool Festival, I noticed a pair of mittens on display that were like thrummed mittens yet were different. Instead of tufts of roving knit into the inside of the mitten, pencil roving was stranded and knit in every 4 stitches. The next day at Rhinebeck, I found some pencil roving and it got me thinking....

'strummed' (stranded thrummed) mittens.

I'm using the Briggs and Little Thrummed Mitten pattern as a base pattern and am stranding on every row as the pencil roving is very thin and I want good coverage.



<---I'm using the handspun that didn't turn out as nicely as I would have liked. As a single, it looked great but after plying it turned out greenish and muddy. But with the purple pencil roving, I'm liking it more and more.










And this is what the inside looks like.

Don't you think they'll be really cozy?

Strummed mittens! I ♥ them.

No comments:

Post a Comment