Monday 23 August 2010

Time Crunch

Today I had to abandon my knitting for a while to get a book read. About three weeks ago I found Adrienne Martini's "Sweater Quest: My Year of Knitting Dangerously" on the New Books shelf of my local public library.  I had read about it in someone's blog and was thrilled it was available to me right away. Of course, it has sat on my desk since then because I always seem to have tons of other stuff to do. I do like to read but I find it relaxes me so much I have a tendency to doze off. Although the napping is good, it doesn't get me to the end of whatever it is that I am reading. Realizing it is due on Tuesday, I tried to renew the book but can't because someone else has put a hold on it so I had to get it read pronto. And that was my main objective today after getting back from the gym.

I finished the book at about 11pm. In it, Martini writes about her experience acquiring the pattern and yarn for an out-of-print knitting pattern for the very intricate Alice Starmore Fair Isle style sweater, Mary Tudor. It's kind of the knitting equivalent to Julie Powell's "Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously" whereby she writes about attempting to make all 524 recipes from Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking". I really believe Meryl Streep should have won the Academy Award for her portrayal of Julia Child in the movie. But I digress...

With the book done, I was able to get back to my regular knitting. I continue to putter away on Freny's socks. I turned the heel and am almost finished the gusset decreases. I should be able to finish the first sock tomorrow.

I really like this Regia Kaffe Fassett Design Line colourway (04452).

I have been looking for vacation properties online for Skip and me for the winter in the south. I sent an inquiry today for a 'villa' with all the amenities in our price range. We're keeping our fingers crossed that they indeed have the vacancy indicated on their website. We hope to hear back tomorrow. Wish us luck!    

1 comment:

  1. beautiful socks! Knit knit knit and they will be done soon - lovely yarn and lovely cables!!! Bravo!!!!

    ReplyDelete