Tuesday 4 January 2011

Alpine Mitten

I finished the thumb on the Fair Isle Alpine Mitten from the "Vogue Knitting Mittens & Gloves". I've been calling it the Tree Mitten.
The black yarn is just some Lion Brand Wool I had in my stash and the contrasting colour is Punta Yarns Merisoft Hand Painted aran weight that feels a lot like Malabrigo worsted.  
I had to add several more rows to make the hand of the mitten long enough. I just continued the pattern on the palm and added extra black rows on the back of the hand and started my decreases later in the pattern. I also had to add about an inch to the thumb. rather than continuing increases on the outside and decreases on the inside of the thumb, I just continued the pattern vertically until it was long enough. These are nice, thick, warm mittens that would be perfect for a snowball fight.

Hopefully I won't have to be involved in any snowball fights as we've not had snow for about 3 weeks and Skip and I are going to have a southern vacation soon* - but probably not before we get at least one dump of snow.

*I'm getting quite excited about this, "Wheeeeeeeee"!

1 comment: