Saturday 7 December 2013

They Can Now Be Revealed

I completed a stealth knitting project a while back. It was a pair of custom-knit mittens in Cascade 220 Superwash DK yarn.

My friend, Francey, wanted a pair of mittens with the Colorado State University mascot, Cam the Ram's symbol on the palms and CSU on the back of the mittens. Those of you with a discerning eye will note the ram is a modified version from my 'Rams and Yowes' blanket. She found the colour of yarn she wanted and mailed it to me while I was in Ireland. The package with the yarn was waiting for me when I got home. 
The plain mittens knit up very quickly. For such a small amount of the white, I just duplicate stitched the ram and letters with the white yarn. Basically you are duplicating the path of the yarn that you are covering. It is fairly easy to do and works well on small amounts of colourwork. The stocking stitch fabric also remains quite stretchy.
I swatched with this yarn and the needles and figured out how many stitches to cast on. I then improvised a cable pattern for the cuffs as the rest of the mittens were just going to be in stocking stitch.
The mittens are big on Francey as I made them to fit my hands, but she wore gloves under them today in Colorado when it was so bitterly cold and her hands were nice and toasty.
It's nice when someone you know is knitworthy. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment