Sunday 19 October 2014

Rhinebeck 2014

Mo and I made our pilgrimage to the New York State Sheep and Wool Festival at Rhinebeck, NY once again this year.

It is a beautiful time of year to visit the Hudson Valley.

I spent Saturday in a knitting workshop while Mo shopped, met up with friends, and scoped out the good stuff for me.

This is what Into The Whirled looked like before the doors opened yesterday. Their specialty is hand-painted yarns and rovings.














And this is what it looked like at noon today.
Here are more outdoor shots. Each of those buildings contains either livestock or vendors.
These buildings (A,B,C and D from left to right) are at the south end of the fairgrounds. My class was in building D. Also in these buildings are many vendors, the fleece sale, and author's book-signing area.
This is the garden outside the Horticultural Building.
...and the view down the hill toward the food area from the Horticultural Building.
Sadly, this year the 4-H kids didn't sell lamb chili; only refreshments.

I didn't take a lot of photos inside buildings this year but this gives you an idea of how items were displayed.



I bought this gradient yarn set in these colours from Miss Babs


to knit this shawl - Brush Creek

It was very handy being able to take photos of the sample with the tags naming the pattern and yarn used. In most cases, the patterns are available for purchase and download online.

The most popular vendors had lots of samples that were properly labeled.

As I've recently been enjoying spinning hand-painted Polwarth roving, I happened to find a few (ahem) braids of the stuff.


This Blue-Faced Leicester bundle is for spinning separately, then knitting as a gradient.
Now I will agonize (in a good way) over what pattern to knit the yarn with.

It was an excellent festival this year and I look forward to a return visit in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment