Saturday 6 February 2021

Continuing with Stripes

I work on my scrappy socks when I take a break from stitching. I have turned the heels and have started the gusset decreases.

I continued the striping on the heel flaps and now with the blue/mauve yarn am doing the gusset stitches and instep. I will maintain the colour changes every 5 or 6 rows and will be knitting a plain stocking stitch foot. 

I am continuing the Eye of Partridge pattern on the stitches on the bottom of the foot. With the slipping of the stitches, an extra strand of yarn reinforces the heel stitches where I wear out my socks most frequently.
I'm running out of scraps of yarn long enough to do 6 rounds of stripes on both socks so will have to repeat some colours. I do try to maintain putting a contrasting yarn next to the previous one. 

These will be very fun to wear. And I've certainly been getting a lot of wear out of my many pairs of knitted socks since we're not spending the winter in the sunny south,

I checked on Hope's (my sea turtle that I sponsored) progress and she's swimming back to the waters of north of the Bahamas.

She started off last May when she was released at Jupiter FL with a tracking device glued onto her shell. By the late summer, she had made it up the coast off the NJ shore.  Undisturbed by a worldwide pandemic she made her way to the warmer waters a few hundred miles east of Puerto Rico.
Then she turned and started making her way back in a west-north-westerly direction. I'm hoping she'll return to the area where she was hatched and lay eggs of her own.
I wear my turtle bracelet every day and cheer her on. 

We have been blessed with a mild winter thus far. We've only had one significant snowfall since Christmas Day when we had  the first significant snowfall this winter. Thank goodness. It is very windy today and the temperatures are plummetting but at least we're not dealing with snow drifts. If we can't be in south Texas doing our favourite things, I'm glad we've been spared a horrendous winter thus far.

Here are some of our favourite things to do in south Texas:

look at the roseate spoonbills and sreat egrets,
birdwatch at the wooded Valley Land Fund lots on the island,
photograph any butterflies that stay still long enough, 

then go and eat yummy tacos al carbón and frijoles charro with a frosty tropical drink on the side.





No comments:

Post a Comment