Thursday 29 April 2021

Uneven Weave

Because of my Steady Thread SAL I've become quite intrigued with blackwork. I found a little ornament pattern on The Gift of Stitching that I wanted to try.

I pulled some fabric out of my stash - 32ct linen from MCG Textiles which I probably purchased at Michaels in the US some time back.

I stitched it, with a pretty good idea the warp threads are a different count than the weft threads but figured it would look OK.

WRONG! It looked WAY squashed.

So I restitched it on some 16ct linen I knew was a quality fabric. Much better.

Here they are side by side.

Just out of curiosity, I did a stitch count in the corner. Lookee what I found! (ignore the miscrossed stitches).

I guess the company chose the average of the two counts (28ct and 36ct) for the count on their packaging. 

How effed up is that?

Lesson learned, although it feels very nice, only use this fabric for non-counted embroidery as it most certainly is not evenweave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment