Friday 28 May 2021

A Lot Has Been Going On

Last week we thought Skip would have to have reparative surgery on his skin graft and dreaded our trip into The Big City to see the surgeons. What looked horrible to us did not look horrible to them. In fact, they were quite pleased with how he was healing. The graft had pulled away a bit but the underlying skin was knitting together nicely. We both heaved a big sigh of relief and drove home in quite an elated frame of mind.

Our primary care physician had also contacted Community Care and had arranged for a nurse to start coming daily which has been happening for the past week. After this, Skip's 'wound' will be reassessed and the frequency of future visits will be determined. I cannot express how relieved I am to not be the primary care-giver for the surgical site. I'm happy helping him with anything else (dressing, getting into bed, planting his seedlings in the garden) but medical care is definitely not in my skill set.

Skip was also cleared to shower and climb the stairs and has been sleeping and napping in our bed again. This is great for both of us and we're both getting a lot more sleep as a result. Our days are pretty relaxed now so all is pointing to a good outcome. 

Skip and I  both will be fully vaccinated by early August and sooner if the 2nd injection is sooner. Add two weeks for maximum efficacy and mid-August should be safe for us to travel a bit within Ontario as long as we aren't having yet another surge. I have booked us a nice little Niagara getaway for early September - the week of Labour Day. Hopefully Skip will feel comfortable enough to ride in the car for a couple of hours, and there has been no big surge in COVID infections. 

I have been enjoying some retail therapy and ordered a nifty watch band for my new watch from a vendor on Etsy. Shipping was cheap but it took 23 days to come from central-west Toronto (30km)?


One cool, free app on my watch called 'Pillow' monitors my sleep patterns. The sensor on the back of the watch (worn while in bed) monitors my heart rate and movements through the night. Then it gives an analysis of the type and quality of sleep I've had. For example, the orange bars showed two times in the night I had to help Skip back into bed after a bathroom visit.
Then it analyzes and rates the kind of sleep I got. All in the normal or high range. For a woman my age, I am a good sleeper judging from what my GP says and many of my friends experience. I think not being a worrier or one who frets unnecessarily, helps me a lot in this area.

The other night, I couldn't fall asleep right away and came downstairs and watched TV for a couple of hours. When I checked the readout the next day, my watch classified those two hours as sleep time where I had light and REM sleep. So I guess I was relaxed enough watching TV that it simulated actual sleeping time. 

The app clearly states that it is not a medical device but I find it interesting. 

I also ordered this book to knit some cute animals. It was shipped from Belgium and arrived in less than a week. I have all of the crocodile parts knit. I just need to stuff and attach them.

I also ordered this chart from Cherry Lane Designs on Etsy. It calls for Floba fabric but I don't know what count so I haven't been able to order it from Kim yet. Hopefully the pattern will arrive soon and I can get all the materials ready to start it. I'd like to have it done for 2021 Canada Day.

I finished my paint by number faux Tom Thomson painting. It will fit perfectly in a 20" x 16" frame. When we are permitted to do non-essential shopping, I'll hit the big box craft store and pick one up.
I do need to do a check that the numbers aren't showing through any of the parts.

It was nice enough on Monday to sit outside for my morning stitcher's chat. David (a long-time friend) kindly helped me get the chairs and umbrella out there last week. The back of our house faces south, so as the sun comes around, I move the chair around the table to stay shaded, so I can sit out there all day if I like. The natural light is great for stitching.

I've made quite a bit of progress on my Wm Morris piece. 

I also need to order the fabric to do the companion piece - the other bird in the design.

We are glad for the rain today - our lawn and gardens so needed a good soaking. But tomorrow it will be sunny and and cool so we can get more planting done.

No comments:

Post a Comment