Tuesday 11 May 2021

Not a Lot of Stitching

This past week has been quite busy. Skip had outpatient surgery last Thursday which should have been in-patient surgery. Because of COVID elective surgeries (i.e. in hospital with general anaesthetic) have been postponed indefinitely. When they're back up and running, there will be a backlog lasting months. Long story shot, post op care has been quite demanding and when I've had time to relax I haven't felt like stitching. 

All that being said, I do a little bit here and there on my Strawberry Thief and have most of the bottom left corner completed. I do so love the green, blues and red against the navy linen.

I completed the tube of my first helix afterthought heel sock and am almost half done the second. The dotted line indicates approximately where I will remove a row of stitching on one half of the sock, pick up the freed stitches above and below and knit an afterthought heel. 

Like I did on this sock. Between the red and dark grey I removed the light grey row on the back of the tube. The light grey heel was knit basically like I would knit a toe and grafted the end of the heel closed.
It's not a difficult technique and is great for socks that have a definite stripe pattern that you don't want to interrupt on the instep.

Today I learned how to install a new, raised toilet seat. I ordered two of them online on Saturday and they arrived today. Of course the one wrench I needed (9/16)" was absent from both wrench sets we have but I did find a little wrench that came with something or other that we assembled. It's just one of those stamped out of metal but it did the trick. I then took a Sharpie and wrote 9/16 on it and put it with the other wrenches. 

The instructions for assembly were really poor so I watched a YouTube video and was able to complete the task more confidently and successfully. As long as there is a good instructional YouTube video, I'm fine installing, fixing, and learning new things. Google is also my friend for most other queries - especially for learning how to do stuff with my new Apple Watch 6. 

Speaking of that, I ordered a protective cover for it and managed not to scratch the watch before the cover arrived and got installed. 
You can hardly tell it's on there.
And it doesn't really add much bulk overall.
I've been experimenting with different photos for the face of the watch - all done via my iPhone. I also downloaded a cool app called Pillow that monitors my sleep and the different stages - REM, light sleep, and deep sleep. I also figured out how to turn the watch display off for nighttime when we're in bed as Skip hates any light in the room. It's called 'theatre mode'.
Everything functions normally but the watch face stays dark and the watch is silenced until you push in the side button.

I have a lime green band on order and look forward to its arrival.

No comments:

Post a Comment