Wednesday 8 March 2023

Stitching in Tandem

A bunch of stitcherly friends headed to a lovely stitching retreat today until Friday. So I wouldn't feel so much FOMO, I started another small stitching project, Redwork Pears by Annie Beez Folk Art:

I bought the pattern and the called-for silk floss (Dinky Dyes #258 Cranberry Cocktail) back in the fall when we went on our road trip to Hobby House Needleworks in Pittsford NY. 

I rummaged through my vast fabric stash and found the perfect fabric for this, 40ct Vintage Country Mocha linen. It was a remnant measuring 13.5" x 5.5". I folded it into threes and pressed creases. I will do all three on this piece and cut them apart.

I realize I should have bought the fabric for the finishing first and then matched the thread to it but if I don't already have something appropriate in my fabric stash, I know a couple of quilt shops that, I'm sure, will have something appropriate for the back of the pears. This striped fabric could actually work, too!



The other two designs will take longer as there are way more stitches in them.

Watching Vonna Pfeiffer's vlog the other day, she spoke about what needle sizes she uses (at 48:30) on what count of fabric. Especially when stitching with silk, she likes to use a much larger needle than normally would be used (eg. size 22 on 40ct fabric). That way, the needle parts the fabric threads and allows the silk floss to glide through with a minimum of friction, hence, less shredding of the floss. 

I usually stitch with a #28 needle on 40ct but tried using a #24. It felt a bit ungainly at first but the silk floss really did slide through easily - even using the sewing method.  So take that tip for what it's worth; it worked for me.

Tonight I'll tackle another one. 

Today's sunshine and blue skies really lifted my spirits. Skip even sat outdoors for a while and soaked in some Vitamin D. Spring is coming... 

No comments:

Post a Comment