Friday 8 September 2023

More Sunflowers in My Life

I started stitching a Durene Jones sunflower scissor case almost a year ago. It has been languishing in a project bag ever since with only the Hardanger stitches left to complete. Last night finished it, I substituting woven bars instead of wrapped bars and HotFix 'jewels' for the eyelets (oops! Missed one - will fix).

I lined it with some of the Sunny Brook fabric, including the fabric behind the open Hardanger areas.
I actually increased the size of the pattern by enlarging the grid, stitching the front and folded back as in the original pattern and just shifted the sunflower flap design into the (now farther away) opposite corner. It fits my 4" scissors perfectly. It really does pay to measure ahead to get desired results.
What I didn't plan for was inserting into the flap tip, a loop for a closure. Now I'm trying to decide what to use instead. I'll either go with a little dome fastener (like Durene did in her photo below) or a piece of folded ribbon attached to the lining at the tip of the flap. 

There is also a wee biscornu that can be used as a scissor fob/pincushion that has all the Kloster blocks done, I just need to do the cutting, Hardanger stitches and sew the thing together. I will try to remember to make and attach the cording as part of the finishing.

I also purchased the other patterns in this set:

No comments:

Post a Comment