Thursday, 10 September 2026

Getting Inspired

When stitchers get together, they like to see what others are working on and share what they're working on. Judy and Bev have been working on a sashiko biscornu designed by Atelier Pin & Needle.

The pattern is available on Etsy.

From my stash, I found two darker blue squares of 22ct evenweave fabric that had already been surged on the sides. They weren't quite big enough for the whole pattern so I made the pattern smaller. I was too tired to count carefully from the centre so just started in the corner, knowing I'd have enough room for the smaller version (right piece). 

I got this far on the other piece before heading to bed. 

Because the design has an odd number of stitches per side, when I did the backstitching around it, I went out three threads from the design edge instead of two. Now the backstitching is an even number of stitches. This will make sewing the two pieces together easier as the corner of one side starts at the edge centre of the other piece. 

This pattern is really sashiko-esque because the Japanese technique is usually done as surface embroidery, that is, stitched from the design drawn onto the fabric. This counted method, although very neat and tidy, deviates from that a bit. However the result will be quite striking.

On the first square, I did the horizontal lines down to the open part, then the verticals. I just wanted to see how it would look in that corner. Then I filled in the rest. It involved a LOT of stitching using 2 strands of B5200DMC and a #26 needle. I should be able to finish the second square today between adulting housework. 

One chore I don't mind doing is laundry on a nice, sunny day like today. Everything is going out on the clothesline passive solar dryer. The bedding will smell great when I crawl into it tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment