Sunday, 6 September 2026

Veronica It Is!

I gave the little kitty cat to her new owner, Sharon G, at stitching yesterday. Sharon declared that she shall be named Veronica as well. I hope to post a photo of the two of them really soon.

There were 18 of us at our guild stitch day yesterday. Some of us (ahem) made a few mistakes and had to un-stitch them. One of our gang informed us she had to pick out everything she had stitched that day. Once again I learned the lesson to only have stuff that needs to be filled in when stitching socially. 

All that being said, I did get more done on my  'This Bee's Got Knees'.

I gave Jeanette her project bag so she can handsew the binding onto the back. 
Today I sewed up the other one she gave me to do. I started the second bag which I had cut out previously then realized I had to whip out and buy the right colour thread. Back at home, it came together in fairly short order. 

Although I'm using fusible fleece (with the fusible side towards the lining), I decided to quilt the back with the 30º lines 2 3/4" apart. I used a bit of washable glue to tack down the corners and have left it pinned for Jeanette to stitch down the binding. This YouTube video clearly outlines and excellent and almost foolproof method to attach binding ends. The pertinent part is at minute 23:00.
I really love the Wm Morris-ish fabric, and the lining and border fabric with tiny script. Nicola, the designer, provided extra script and lining fabric as other options to put above the zipper. They could easily be fashioned into a snappy ort tray.

Yesterday Barb asked me to sew up her panel as well so that will be my task tomorrow. I have owned my Bernina machine since 2012 and only just discovered I had the presser foot which would enable me to stitch in the ditch (I'm not sure what it's called). I have always struggled with stitching in the ditch using the regular presser feet so will try this out sometime soon. However, it won't be on Barb's bag. 

She left the binding decision up to me so for this one, so I plan to sew the binding onto the back and machine-sew it down on the front. 

I didn't get a call from the oboe repairer on Friday and he told me he was going on vacation this Tuesday so I doubt I'll get the instrument back until mid-September at the earliest. Still deciding when and what I'll play when I go back to the Pickering band.

And finally, in iPhone trade-in news, the trade-in kit arrived sometime on Friday. It was just a sturdy mailer with the return mailing label inside. I prepared my phone by backing up everything to the Cloud, unattaching it from the 'Find My' feature on my new phone, and restored it to factory settings. Then I gave it a bit of a cleanup, popped it into the mailer, slapped the label onto it, and beetled over to the nearby UPS Store to drop it off. 

I got an email today from the nice people at Apple asking if I was still interested in trading in my old phone to which I replied that I had sent it out on Friday. Fingers are crossed the trade-in amount will get put back on my Apple gift card and credit card soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment