Monday 22 June 2009

Thursday, etc.

Thursday is my favourite day of the week. I go to a Zumba class in the morning, rush home to shower and have lunch and then I head out to the first of my two knitting groups. The first group meets from 1pm - 3pm at a quaint tea shop in Brooklin, a hamlet north of Whitby on Hwy. 12. It is an eclectic group of ladies who all love to knit.

Two of the attendees, Marion and Sharion, are members of the knitting guild and Paula and Marion both work at Myrtle Station Wool and Ferguson's just a few more kilometres north in Myrtle Station. Gail and Nancy are also avid knitters who attend regularly.






After this, I go home and have supper and then head to my Thursday night knitting group at Kniterary where again, I enjoy knitting camraderie.

It is so inspiring to see what other people are knitting and combined with Ravelry, I am constantly adding things to my knitting list of 'things to do'.

Friday evening, we attended a retirement party of one of our colleagues, Rick Norman. It was fun seeing many of our former colleagues and hearing how good we looked (rested and not exhausted from finishing up the school year). Rick's speech was very good. We wish him all the best in his retirement.













On Saturday evening, Suzanne and I braved the elements and attended an outdoor concert in Peterborough where David Cassidy was playing. In spite of the heavy drizzle, the show went on and we had a great time. Of course I took my knitting to have something to do while waiting for the concert to start.











Skip and Scooter golfed early yesterday morning which allowed me to sleep in. Here they are posing on Father's Day.













We have a busy week ahead with plans to attend a couple of pavilions at Fiesta an ethnic festival in Oshawa where food and entertainment is available from a number of countries: Greece, Poland, Ukraine, Germany, Italy, Portugal, France, Serbia and the Caribbean. When I was teaching, it marked the beginning of the summer as our students were usually in exams and Skip and I would usually take in an evening show once or twice during the week. Now, we like to eat at one pavilion, watch their show and then move on to another to see the dancing.

Skip and Scooter are golfing several times this week (two different courses today) and we're also heading out to Rochester to an LPGA event with a stop in Buffalo on the way home to shop. Tomorrow we're attending a retirement party at our former school.

I have started another project from the Knitted Lace of Estonia book. This time the Leaf and Nupp Shawl in a lovely raspberry-coloured Maine-Line Jaggerspun held double. This yarn is lovely and soft. Like the Lehe Square Shawl, the centre rectangle is knit, then the stitches are picked up all around the edge and the border is knit. It should look very spiffy once it's done.


That blue edging is not part of the pattern, it's just my provisional cast-on in a smooth, contrasting yarn. Once removed, the stitches will be 'live' stitches and simply slipped on the circular needle to knit the edging.

No comments:

Post a Comment