Friday 26 March 2010

What a Difference a Day Makes! (lots o' links)

Today, Skip and I had our income tax prepared by a professional. I have been doing it at home with a trusty CD but we decided to have an expert do it this year and see if she could find us more deductions or refunds. With a bit of prestidigitation on the computer (and income splitting) she found us a net refund of $300 instead of us having to pay $500. YAY!

After that good news we visited Skip's nonegenarian mother in the nursing home (I showed her photos from my blog on the computer there). Following that, we felt peckish so headed over to Uxbridge to Scrambles, the restaurant at the Foxbridge Golf Course, for lunch. Then we went to the LYS,  On the Lamb,  to see what was new. Ellen, the amiable proprietor, when she learned I had been knitting mittens, showed me this brand new book, "60 Quick Knits: 20 Hats, 20 Scarves, 20 Mittens in Cascade 220". I had just been reading a glowing review of this book on Grumperina's blog so was pleased to get to see the book 'in the flesh'. So I bought it.

I did some work on the Dianna shawl and now I really think I have the hang of it. So much so that I just started tier #4 (the black square). It is a very interesting design with the leaves pointing a different way in each tier as well as the odd numbered tiers having a stocking stitch leaf on a reverse stocking stitch background and the even numbered tiers having a reverse stocking stitch leaf on a stocking stitch background. It is completely reversible and there will be only two ends to sew in when it is finished - at the beginning and at the end.

Here's a closeup.
I'm using large needles (4mm) as I like very open lacework. It will also make a bigger scarf/shawl. This Zauberball yarn is perfect for this project. The colours are varied, strong and change very gradually. It can be seen better here.
It's so fun to knit and see what colour comes up next. I'm so glad I persevered. Lesson learned? Don't try a new lace pattern unless I'm alone and can give it my 100% concentration.

1 comment:

  1. I'm the same way...need to concentrate by myself when doing a lace pattern. That is going to be a fabulous scarf!

    ReplyDelete