Monday 23 August 2010

Family Ties

95 years ago today, on August 23, 1915,  my grandparents, Geraldine Isabelle Brown and George Renwick Anderson were married in this church in Mt. Whatley, NB near Aulac, just a few km from the Nova Scotia border.
My grandmother's family has attended this church for about 150 years and continue to do so today. Many of my ancestors are buried in the cemetery.


This is George and Geraldine circa 1916 before my mother, Muriel, their only child, came along.

They were a very handsome couple. I'm told Grandma was referred to as 'the pretty one' of the three sisters. I see why. Grandpa looks pretty dashing here, too.


 


Muriel arrived in 1917. Here they are circa 1920.










And many years later,  in 1954, their youngest grandchild (ahem), Geraldine was born.

Grandma was thrilled that I was named after her. I never really liked the name, Geraldine, but after my visit to New Brunswick, I realize some pretty nice people in the family were given that name. But I still prefer Geri.

Grandma and Grandpa were married for 51 years until Grandma died in 1966. Two years later Grandpa married Grandma's sister, whom we referred to as Aunt Emma. It is some of Emma's grandchildren and great-grandchildren with whom I visited last month in NB.

Happy Anniversary, Grandma and Grandpa.

1 comment:

  1. How lovely to hear your family story Geri and to have a picture like that. My grandpa died in the second world war when my mother was 2 so don't know much about him except where he was buried in Italy. My great grandmother Marguerite Gravelle was from Quebec and I can find nothing on her :-( The other side of my family was from somewhere in England.

    ReplyDelete