Sunday 26 June 2011

I ♥ (Central) New York

Last week, Skip and I ventured to Rochester, NY to attend a day of the Wegmans LPGA Championship at Locust Hill Country Club. It rained heavily early that morning but by the time we got to the event, the sun was out and things were drying up nicely. By the time we left, the temperature had climbed to 93F. It was a 'sticky one', but it was lfun following around many of the world's finest women golfers, watching their shots while we stood in the shade, sampling the free food in the Wegmans (a grocery store based in NY state) merchandising tent, standing only a few feet away from the golfers as they teed off, hit fairway and approach shots and putted out.

Then we drove further eastward to visit our friends MaryAnne, James and Aidan in Baldwinsville, NY - just NE of Syracuse. I met MaryAnne in 1992 on a Windjammer Barefoot cruise in the NW Caribbean, cruised again with her and other people we met on that cruise in 1995.
And on Facebook, we still keep in touch with Andrea and Betty.

Now I'm married to Skip and MaryAnne is married to 'her' James (not to be confused with 'our' James) and Aidan is 9 years old.

MaryAnne and I went yarn shopping at Sheep Thrills Yarn Company in Syracuse and Fred and Aidan went to play mini-putt.

I hadn't planned to buy anything but was quite intrigued with these items.

Some Cascade Heritage Silk sock yarn,
a couple of skeins of Araucanía Ranco sock yarn for another Maia shawl.
a couple of skeins of Berroco Boboli yarn that look and feel a lot like Manos Silky Merino,
and a book that had some cool graphs of animals that would make some cool fair-isle projects.
On our way home, we dropped into a Sports Authority and I picked up a jacket for my upcoming knitting trip to the UK, a pair of golf shoes and a lock for my bike.

So much for not thinking I was going to buy anything.

I didn't get any pictures of MaryAnne and James, but here's one of Aidan, Skip and me. Aidan is holding his very versatile multi-function watch that Santa brought him last year. He can even take pictures with it.

And, late Saturday night when I was catching up on my emails and Facebook, I learned that New York state finally passed legislation to make gay marriage legal. I understand how some people who believe in the bible can have an issue with people practicing a homosexual lifestyle but for the life of me, I don't understand how gay marriage is a threat to our society. Currently, 10 countries ( Argentina, Belgium, Canada, Iceland, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden) have legal recognition of same-sex marriage. Gay marriages can be performed in Mexico City and 7 US states.

Slow and steady wins the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment