Saturday 14 July 2012

Freaky!

I've been doing some tidying up in my office in preparation for our bathroom reno which is beginning on Monday. I need to be able to pile all my clothes in here so I needed to get a lot of my yarn and fibre stash put away to make room for the clothes. In the process, I unearthed a bag containing the squares from the Great American Aran Afghan that I finished knitting a couple of years ago. When I put the project away the last time, I had already sewn blocks into strips of 5 blocks each. So all I had to do was sew the 4 strips together. It only took a couple of hours during some TV time this evening. I'll take some better photos in tomorrow's daylight.
Now I just need to knit the border. Checking out the GAAAaaaaaaaaaa Group on Ravelry, I searched for some border options and happened upon this one, a garter-eyelet edging, suggested by Susan Rainey, the designer of the 'Aran sweater' square. 

What I like about this border is the eyelet rows alternate with the garter stitch rows and giving it a bit more visual interest than the garter ridges around each square, and the fact that I don't have to put all the peripheral stitches on one or two honkin' circular needles to do the border.I will knit each side separately and then bind off the sts using the same strand of yarn. Then I'll sew the corners together.

So when I checked my Projects page in Ravelry to see when I had actually finished knitting the last block, it was July 13, 2009. Exactly three years ago today! How freaky is that? I'm also shocked it's been three years since I finished the knitting and the bag of squares has been sitting in the closet that long.

1 comment:

  1. What a great find! I wish mine would just appear in the wardrobe (kidding - the pleasure is in the knitting ... right). It looks great.

    ReplyDelete