Monday 14 January 2013

Golden Globes

Skip and I have been trying to go to all the good movies, especially ones nominated for awards. Last night was the the Golden Globes broadcast so I set the PVR to record all my other favourite Sunday night shows, "Downton Abbey" and "The Good Wife". I then grabbed a couple of balls of dishcloth cotton in contrasting colours and sat down to knit the ubiquitous ballband dishcloth.

First I used 4.5mm needles and had knit about a third of it when I realized the fabric was too dense and I needed to go up a needle size. So I frogged it and hauled out some 5mm needles. Within a couple of hours I had completed it.
It didn't take long for me to internalize the pattern so I didn't have to constantly look at the instructions.
 It was lots of fun. Now I can toss out some of my most sorry-(sorriest?) looking dishcloths.

I like the Golden Globes presentations better than the Academy Awards. The GGs are more relaxed and fun,  and this year Tina Fey and Amy Pohler were amazing hosts. It's interesting that in spite of "Argo" winning the GG for the Best Movie Drama and Ben Affleck for Best Actor, he was shut out of the best actor nominations for the Oscars. Skip and I just saw "Argo" on the weekend and it was an excellent docu-drama. I'm not sure why I wasn't aware of the real plot to get the Americans out but it made for a gripping story. Even though we knew how the story ended, we were all holding our (respective) breaths during the final scenes. As uncomfortable as Tony Mendez (the manager of the caper) was on the stage last night, I was glad to see he's alive and well (retired from the CIA and living quietly in rural Maryland now) and received an ovation when he was introduced.

I think everyone was surprised to see President Bill Clinton on the stage to introduce a clip from "Lincoln". He looks well and has been taking care of himself. Skip noted that if he were to run for president again, he'd surely get elected again. I agree, but I doubt he'd want the hassle in his life at this stage.

I've added a couple more to my 'must-see' list: "Django Unchained", "The Master" as I like Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams, "Quartet" because I LOVE Maggie Smith, and an indie movie also showing downtown in The Big City called "A Late Quartet" (that's not too confusing...) starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Christopher Walken and Catherine Keener.

No comments:

Post a Comment