Saturday 19 January 2013

Socks with Lace Edging and a Bit of a Rant

I finished up these socks this evening while watching the second part of Oprah's Lance Armstrong interview*.
The inset lace band was an easy lace pattern. Using this basic design, it would be pretty easy to insert any 15 stitch (more or less) lace pattern for a custom knit.

The instructions were a little difficult to follow. I basically 'did my own thing' once I realized how the lace travelled across the instep. Increasing on one side and decreasing on the other, keeping the sole stitches as is. A less experienced sock knitter might find the instructions to be quite frustrating and difficult to decipher.

I've some really nice yarn in my sock stash. Now to find another interesting pattern to knit...

*re: Lance Armstrong and those of his ilk. I believe he is sorry he got caught and would have perpetuated the lies had he not been caught. What is it with liars and cheaters these days? Margaret Wente, a columnist with the Globe and Mail gets caught plagiarizing, Chris Spence the director of education of the largest school board in Canada gets caught plagiarizing, Manti Te'o, a promising NCAA football player for Notre Dame and runner up for the Heisman trophy gets caught lying about a non-existent girlfriend and now Lance Armstrong finally can lie no longer about his doping and cheating on every one of his 7 Tour de France wins. Can anyone be trusted any more? I'm not perfect but one thing I am not is dishonest. I'm sure Chris Spence really is a good guy who had a lapse in judgement and took a shortcut by taking someone else's speech as his own. It is unfortunate that he has sabotaged his own career but he really did screw up! I really hate liars and cheaters. Is there corruption in every institution? It really does shake one's faith in all that is just and good.

2 comments:

  1. I love the pattern very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought some of the Regia Merino Angora yarn and have started a cable sock pattern (the one from A Fine Fleece).
    I can certainly relate to liars and cheaters as you know my ex-husband is a two time cheater and long time liar!!

    ReplyDelete