Saturday 19 April 2014

It Wouldn't Be Easter Without...

Scooter has finished his year at university and is with us this weekend for Easter. We celebrate in a secular manner, usually with lots of chocolate, candy, and cookies.

Since Skip and I are low carbing, I only baked a small number of cookies and quickly decorated them this evening.
Scooter will have to eat them all and take the leftovers when he leaves on Monday or we'll keep the leftovers and freeze them so we can haul them out when we entertain guests (as long as they don't mind Easter cookies in June or July).

I finished the first denim ribbed sock this evening. I cast on with 64sts on 2.5mm needles and after turning the heel and picking up the heel flap sts, I switched to 2.25mm needles for the foot for a snugger fit and hopefully a more durably wearing sock. Please excuse the bad flourescent lighting. I may have a hard time achieving identical twin socks.
To reinforce the bottom of the heel, I knit through the back of the loop every other stitch. This twists the yarn a little bit more, thus strengthening it. In the next round, I staggered the twisted stitches. If you do this, make sure you are twisting in the direction of the existing twist in the yarn. In this cast there is an 'S'-twist \\\ in the yarn. If your yarn is a 'Z'-twist /// you'll have to twist the reinforcing stitches in the other direction.

Completely changing the subject...
On this low carb (Wheat Belly) diet, I sometimes crave something sweet and something crunchy. I learned about this amazing Norwegian goat's milk cheese called Ski Queen from a friend while we were in Florida. I don't know how they make it but it tastes like caramel. Yum!

Skip and I ate lots of it when we were in Florida and I've been trying to find it locally since we got home a couple of weeks ago. Today I found it in the next town at a little cheese shop. Yay!
I also found our favourite non-wheat, non-starch, non-flour crackers at Costco. They're called Mary's Organic Crackers in Canada


and Mary's Gone Crackers in the US.
Among Wheat Belly dieters, there is a debate as to whether they are really permitted. Some WBers are avoiding all grain (there is whole organic whole grain rice, organic whole grain quinoa, and organic whole grain millet in it) but these crackers are recommended in Dr. Davis' book and that's good enough for me. As long as there's no wheat, flour, starch or sugar, I'm fine with it. And they certainly satisfy my need for something crunchy.

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving some of the knitting you have posted - those Treskillion mittens for example. How did you resist eating the biscuits once you had made them?

    ReplyDelete