Monday 19 May 2014

Something's Cookin'

Just after New Year's, Skip and I decided to follow the Wheat Belly diet. It involves eating wheat-, grain-, sugar-, and starch-free.  What does that leave? Lots of yummy meat, fat, cheeses, seeds, and green vegetables. It has been a lot easier to follow this 'diet' than any other I've attempted. We both have lost about 15 lb. and hope to lose more altho' we've been on plateaux for while.

We have eaten out a lot less and I've been cooking at home a lot more. Once recipe I found a couple of weeks ago is the Faux Carb Pizza recipe from the Fathead movie blog. There is no wheat or grain and the crust is substantial enough that you can pick up your piece of pizza in your hand to eat it (altho' knife and fork users are not discouraged). Basically the crust is grated mozzarella and a bit of cream cheese melted in the microwave oven with a bit of almond flour. It is then formed into a crust and baked on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Once it is baked, you can pile on the pizza sauce (I made mine from scratch as well as all the commercial ones have the verboten sugar and canola oil) and any other toppings you like, plus, of course, more shredded cheese and bake it in a hot oven on a lower rack 'til the cheese starts to brown.

It was a hit!
And the crust is so yummy, you want to eat all of it, too.

The great thing about this pizza is it really fills you up. This recipe makes one big enough for the two of us to have two pieces each. I usually can't finish the second piece so I wrap it up and have it the next day. It's just as good the second day. Baking it on the parchment paper makes for a super easy clean-up, too!

If you're gluten intolerant or avoiding wheat for any reason, I highly recommend you try this easy recipe.

The pizza sauce recipe? I just used one from the internet that wasn't too complicated.

I went shopping for mayonnaise the other day and couldn't find one that didn't have starch or canola oil in it so I found this whole egg recipe online and made half the recipe. It turned out really well. It will last 2 weeks in the fridge. I substituted extra-virgin olive oil for the vegetable oil and whipped it up in the food processor in a couple of minutes. Apparently the key is to just drizzle the oil in while the rest of the stuff is whipping. A blender or hand blender would work as well, I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment